Re: Concurrent editing in emacs

From: Corwin Brust
Subject: Re: Concurrent editing in emacs
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 23:57:21 -0500

Hi Vikas!

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 11:29 PM Vikas Rawal <vikasrawal@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am looking for a solution where an emacs session is shared with
> multiple users who can simultaneously work on some/all buffers.

Have you already found CRDT?

https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/crdt.html

This has worked nicely for volunteers helping with emacsconf to share
notes files during meetings.  Each session can share multiple buffers,
and there's really nice org support including the ability to "share"
the folding state (we can the same expanded/collapsed sections).   We
can see each others' cursors but are able to independently navigate,
both around a document and across buffers shared in the CRDT session.

CRDT is quite nice and (even better) Qiantan, the author aggressively
maintains it and is welcoming toward ideas/patches.  The RPG game
engine project I'm working on has even been looking at automating
sharing of game maps and such using this and we've had a patch
accepted to make automating use (via elisp) a tiny bit easier.

Best,
Corwin