Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 02:36:19 +0200

Ivano Da Milano wrote:

> [un]zip/tar/rar/etc archives

archive-mode

> ASCII Art - from image, but IIRC, there's an ASCII based
> paint program

artist-mode

> Batch rename

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but it is possible, either
directly from Elisp or some solution/combination with/from
Dired and/or the shell ...

> Browser (like Lynx)

Emacs-w3m (3rd party, based on w3m) or the built-in eww.
Emacs-w3m is a Japanese project BTW, eww is from Norway
I guess :)

> Calendar
> DBMS (SQL Client)
> Diff/patch
> MIDI/Music Player
> Scientific calculator
> Spreadsheet (like sc)

Available  ...

> Contacts manager

~/.mailrc

> File manager (like Midnight Commander)

Dired is what I and a lot of people use ... and while
Midnight Commander is an orthodox file manager (an OFS) Dired
is a directory editor, "[a] term that predates the usage of
file manager". The first year they mention on the Wikipedia
page [1] is 1974 for dired and 1984 for OFS, so that's
a decade already ...

> FTP Client
> Id3 tag editor

Don't know ...

> IRC client

ERC

> Mail client

There are several ... Rmail (written and used to this day by
RSM) and Gnus (which is much more advanced, powerful, and
generally recommended for mails from/with Emacs).
In particular Gnus with Gmane for mailing lists! As the saying
goes, "Gnus is to Emacs users what Emacs is to computer
users".

> OffLine browser (like HTTrack)

You need/want a special browser for that?

> random password generator

Write it yourself in Elisp - in the unlikely even no one did
it already ...

> Project management

org-mode ... or text-mode ... or mhtml-mode

> Speech recognition
> System clean
> Task manager (like top)
> Torrent
> Transcoder (with FFMPeg)
> TTS (with eSpeak)
> Volume mixer (like AlsaMixer)
> Wave editor (with SoX)

Not that I know of but you can execute any shell tool from one
of the shell modes or terminal emulators ...

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_file_manager

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal