Re: Please convert me to ielm (or sort of)

From: Thibaut Verron
Subject: Re: Please convert me to ielm (or sort of)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 11:18:06 +0200

On 20/10/2021 04:24, Eduardo Ochs wrote:
Hi people,

How do you handle history in ielm?...

More precisely: suppose that you were trying to learn something and
after running, say, 42 sexps, in ielm you sort of learned it - and a
lot more. How would you save these 42 sexps, or the more interesting
sexps among them, to your notes?

I am asking because this is trivial in eev - eev enforces a style in
which we save all interesting sexps in our notes, see:
http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-escripts-intro.html#7 - but I
would like to add a section to its docs explaining that I never
learned ielm properly, but it _seems_ that ielm people would do
something similar by doing the things such and such...

I guess that most of the people who use ielm are not compulsive
note-takers like me, and don't have a goldfish-like memory (*) like
me, but some may be...

Hello,

The simplest answer is to C-x C-s or C-x C-w the *ielm* buffer to a file, and then if necessary, use emacs facilities to prettify the output.

You can also look at the variable `comint-input-ring` and the functions using it.

Best wishes,

Thibaut