Re: Running rr from gud?

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Running rr from gud?
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 21:08:12 -0500

> If you don't mind ... what is this thread about?

rr is a deterministic debugger. More details here:

https://rr-project.org/

I'm interested in it because there is a serious effort afoot to remove
Python's global interpreter lock (GIL). Its presence keeps more than one
Python-level from executing bytecode at the same time. The flip side is
that the GIL can hide mistakes related to concurrent data access. Once the
GIL is gone, some/many/most of those mistakes will be revealed. The
non-deterministic nature of multi-threaded execution makes it more
difficult to debug such code. rr looks like it might help, so I'm
considering it as a gdb adjunct/replacement, and since I debug C code in
Emacs I'd like to use rr in that environment.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation.

Skip