Re: Running rr from gud?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Running rr from gud?
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 09:48:38 +0200

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 05:44:40PM -0500, Skip Montanaro wrote:
> > Under "rr features", there's a link "IDE integration" that takes you to this
> > page:
> >
> > https://github.com/rr-debugger/rr/wiki/Using-rr-in-an-IDE
> >
> > Emacs GUD/gdm-mi is mentioned under "known to work".
>
> Thanks. Poked around for a couple minutes. Getting an error:
>
> [FATAL /build/rr-S0CLEN/rr-5.3.0/src/PerfCounters.cc:310:start_counter()
> errno: EACCES] Permission denied to use 'perf_event_open'; are perf
> events enabled? Try 'perf record'.
>
> which seems more Linux- than Emacs-related. I'll keep messing around.

What's the setting of your /proc/sys/kernel/perf_event_paranoid?

Perhaps lowering it a bit might give better results.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't much experience with that, much less an
idea what that might do to your box's security. The whole story
is somewhere here [1]. Don't do that on your Internet facing
server, less if it's running Apache. And so on ;-)

Cheers

[1]
https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/admin-guide/perf-security.html#unprivileged-users

 - t