Re: Set the HOME environment variable in Emacs package debug script inst

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Set the HOME environment variable in Emacs package debug script instead of using it on command line.
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 14:49:19 +0200

Hongyi Zhao wrote:

> my question can be expressed as follows: Set the HOME
> environment variable in shell and from within Emacs lisp
> code could lead to a different Emacs environments.

I use zsh but don't you set it in bash like this?

  export HOME=affe

(You don't do that manually tho, typically.)

You can set it for the Emacs invocation/instance with

  $ HOME=arnold emacs -Q
  (getenv "HOME") ; arnold

(Never did that either, but OK.)

And you can do it from Emacs

  $ emacs -Q
  (setenv "HOME" "stabbe")

(Why ever one would do that.)

And whatever happens after that ... you know? it happens.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal