Re: Set the HOME environment variable in Emacs package debug script inst

From: Hongyi Zhao
Subject: Re: Set the HOME environment variable in Emacs package debug script instead of using it on command line.
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 08:40:58 +0800

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 9:58 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> > Although in these two methods, you get the same HOME
> > variable in Emacs, this does not mean that the order of the
> > libraries and related subprocesses called during Emacs
> > startup is exactly the same.
>
> These are the methods I'm familiar with.

See here [1] for more detailed explanation:

```quoted
Some software uses /etc/passwd instead of the HOME variable.
It's a bug.

Possibly you can inspect 'proxychains-ng-socks5' if it's an script and
fix the bug yourself.

That bug was very common in the past. Fortunately nowadays most
software has fixed it. Ivan Shmakov commented about that in
comp.emacs a pair of years ago:

Ivan Shmakov <iv...@siamics.net> on comp.emacs

Unfortunately, some software refers to passwd(5) data directly
instead, leaving no way for the user to override the home
directory location. In particular, this was the behavior (IIRC)
of programs based on older Glib versions. And I vaguely recall
that Emacs might have been affected as well.
```

[1] https://groups.google.com/g/comp.unix.shell/c/3vrq7pqoG-A/m/Hnk0lsKfAwAJ

HZ