Re: Verticality and future of display engine and lines (bis) [Was: Re: R

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Verticality and future of display engine and lines (bis) [Was: Re: RTL lines]
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:18:21 +0300

> From: Alexandre Garreau <galex-713@galex-713.eu>
> Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 16:50:17 +0200
>
> I just coincidentally ended on a webpage with a vertical script (which
> surprisingly to me displayed correctly under firefox):
>
> https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sakhaline
>
> However copypasting that into emacs, or viewing the page with Eww makes
> that text incorrectly LTR.  Hence I suppose emacs doesn’t yet support
> viewing and editing TTB/BBT text as such…
>
> Have there been an attempt at that?

No.

> Anyway, what would a such change require and how much would it
> overturn the current display engine?

The low level of the display engine will need to acquire a set of
routines that work very differently from what we have there now.

And I don't even understand what is being expected from this.  E.g.,
what happens when the user scrolls the window up or down?  Do all the
columns change like a snake?

> would a solution to that problem possibly cover up with the problem
> I raised in the other almost-homonym thread?

Which is what?