Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2021 04:33:31 +0200

Jean Louis wrote:

>>> I cannot write `ffmpeg' so I convert videos by using Emacs
>>> Lisp on remote computers calling external `ffmpeg'.
>>
>> But you cannot write a pwgen either - or at least, you
>> haven't yet ... so what's the difference?
>
> Emacs image viewer is not `sxiv' or "Eye of Gnome" but still
> fulfils the purpose to view images.

Try feh for a more configurable viewer.

Note that you can run sxiv from Emacs with the 'sxiv' MELPA
package, at least I think that's what it does. I guess not all
Emacs users share your aversion to "external commands" ...

> The function `rcd-password' fulfils the purpose of `pwgen'
> to generate passwords for me.

It isn't as good, that's the issue. No idea why on cannot read
a non-regular file from Elisp, but head(1) and pwgen(1) can do
it from C, and Emacs is written in C as well, so maybe it can
be done as a C built-in (Lisp primitive) or, as said, in
a C dynamic module ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal