Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Noob dumb question (extending emacs)
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2021 02:06:17 +0100

Michael Heerdegen wrote:

>> What do you mean by that, do you mean it doesn't say
>> anything, it is just the relationship between these
>> three things?
>>
>> If so, that's good enough for me, but then what does
>> "password length" mean? If "sex", "love" and "god" are
>> passwords of length 3, 4 and 3 respectively, I understand
>> that, but what password length are we talking about when we
>> are just counting?
>
> I don't understand the question. The password length is the
> length of the string that is used as a password. The number
> of characters of the string. I never meant
> something different.

What does that formula communicate?

The password length is a function of the number of bits of
entropy and the alphabet size? What password is that?
A password of just that length? ... ???

And say that the alphabet is A = {a, b, c} then |A| = 3, the
entropy bits is decided by /dev/urandom, so that doesn't
change either, how can the formula hold for passwords of
different lengths from that alphabet, e.g. "a" (length 1),
"aa" (2), "abc" (3), and so on?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal