Re: silence append-to-file?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: silence append-to-file?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:08:49 +0100

On 2021-11-12, at 13:36, Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a little timer running in Emacs that appends a line to a log
> file.  I use append-to-file for this.  However, every time this gets
> invoked, a message gets written to the *Messages* buffer, a message I do
> not need and simply adds clutter to that buffer.
>
> Is it possible to silence that function?  I've tracked the code down to
> fileio.c (in write-region, line 5501) and I cannot see how to do so
> (from elisp).
>
> Alternatively, is there a better function to use for this?

 -- User Option: message-log-max
     This variable specifies how many lines to keep in the ‘*Messages*’
     buffer.  The value ‘t’ means there is no limit on how many lines to
     keep.  The value ‘nil’ disables message logging entirely.  Here’s
     how to display a message and prevent it from being logged:

          (let (message-log-max)
            (message ...))

Hth,

--