Re: Gnus and multiple Email servers

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: Gnus and multiple Email servers
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 18:06:36 -0800

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Michael Heerdegen wrote:
>
>>> [...] see (info "(gnus) Mail Source Specifiers")
>>
>> Also (info "(gnus) Select Methods"), and in particular
>> `gnus-secondary-select-methods'.
>
> That's right, I have `gnus-select-method'
>
>   (nntp "news.gmane.io")
>
> and `gnus-secondary-select-methods' is
>
>   ((nntp "nntp.aioe.org") (nnml ""))
>
> then one just adds groups with `gnus-group-make-group' in the
> Group buffer.
>
> Actually it should be a matter of doing it/something once, and
> input data... and then do it again, and again.
>
> It doesn't feel like it is like that tho ... but maybe it is,
> or could be?
>
> Hey, nobody said it was supposed to be easy, right?
>
> But actually it is pretty easy! Even if the process is either
> just a little bit wide (Norwegian) or not entirely
> streamlined (Swedish) :)

What is the relationship (or difference?) between a select-method and a
mail-source?  Can you use a mail-source without setting up a
select-method?  Are split-methods the equivalent "select method" to
mail-source?

The manual is not clear (to me) on this.

--
David Masterson