Re: Proper way to add bindings under C-x 8

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: Re: Proper way to add bindings under C-x 8
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:43:53 +0100

    Howard> Well, it mostly works just fine.  I'm using the following
    Howard> and they work up until the "card suits" section:

    Howard>         ;; card suits
    Howard>         ;; ("es" . [?♠️])
    Howard>         ;; ("eC" . [?♣️])
    Howard>         ;; ("eH" . [?♥️])
    Howard>         ;; ("eD" . [?♦️])
    Howard>         ))

    Howard> If the card suits are uncommented I get the error:

    Howard>     (invalid-read-syntax "?")

That may or may not be a bug, Iʼm not sure. In the meantime, thereʼs
nothing stopping you from adding bindings to the keymap used for 'C-x'
without using iso-transl-define-keys. Itʼs a bit more verbose, but
works fine:

    (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
      (define-key map "s" [?♠?️])
      (define-key map "C" [?♣?️])