Faces of modeline and Gnus headers do not obey global setting any more

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: Faces of modeline and Gnus headers do not obey global setting any more
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2021 11:03:59 +0100

Hallöchen!

I just upgraded to current Git Emacs (commit c66eb52453) from
October Emacs (commit 241574375d).  Now, the modeline and the Gnus
email headers in the article view have a different font from the
rest.  In particular, a .emacs only containing

(set-face-attribute 'default nil :font "Ubuntu Mono" :height 140)

used to change the modeline.  However with current Git Emacs, it
does not affect it.

I assume this is a deliberate change, therefore I did not file a bug
report but ask here how to handle this best?

Thanks!

Tschö,
Torsten.

--