Re: Gnus: How to reference an article from a gmane mailing list

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 00:17:38 +0100

Hello Kévin

Kévin Le Gouguec <kevin.legouguec@gmail.com> writes:

> Assuming the "references" you're interested in are message IDs,

Actually I thought originally on some "link" functionality, but in a
wider sense, anything which makes a post unique.

> "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:
>
>> But when I would like to refer to a post in another threat?
>
> While reading a post (or "article" in Gnusspeak) in the summary buffer,
> you can hit "C-u g" to see the raw message; somewhere in there you'll
> see this header:

I see, checking some arbitrary post's message ID from emacs-devel:

But I can't activate or clicking it in message mode, at least in the
*unsent wide reply...* buffer.

> Not sure if Gnus has a keybinding to copy them without going through
> "C-u g"; FWIW I've written this small helper:

 (defun my/kill-message-id ()
   (interactive)
   (kill-new (mail-header-message-id (gnus-summary-article-header))))

<871r2ofls5.fsf@gmail.com> (for the current one)

Thanks, it seems to work (though the cursor is skipping to the end of
the message ;-)).

> I haven't tried it, but you could probably also add "^Message-Id:" to
> gnus-visible-headers.

Thanks, it's working for me. :-)

> Last option that I know of: if you're looking at the mailing list's web
> archives, e.g. here:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2021-12/msg00103.html

Thank you for the pointer to the archive!  Is the GNU organisation
itself maintaining such archives?

> You'll see a comment in the HTML source with this same message ID:

I see, but how did you find this article?  I tried to search (for parts)
of the message ID and this seems not to work.  If I want to use html
links for such archives I need to search, for example, for the time of
the post or the author to get to a particular message in the web
archive, right?

>>                                                             And I would
>> like you to be able to read (or at least find) this article as well.
>> How to do that?
>
> Two ways that I know of:
>
> - Gnus adds buttons on top of message IDs, so either clicking those or
>   TAB'ing your way to them and hitting RET will fetch the corresponding
>   article,

OK, I should be able to check this, after having send this message. :-)

> - "j" in the summary buffer will prompt for a message ID and fetch it.

yes "j" works, how nice.  So, actually, I don't need to search in an
html archive for a link, I just have to paste the respective message ID
of a post I want to reference to, great!

Oh wait!  What about Gmail or other mail readers of Emacs, do they have
this functionality as well?

> Hope that helps.

Well, at a first read, your messages only confused me.  But now it seems
that you gave me already more than I was asking for! :-)

Thank you very much.

    Dieter

--
Best wishes