Re: input methods for mathematical glyphs

From: Leo Butler
Subject: Re: input methods for mathematical glyphs
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 14:07:45 -0600

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Leo Butler <leo.butler@umanitoba.ca>
>> Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2021 10:40:02 -0600
>>
>> I have, for years, used abbrevs for entering greek letters (and several
>> other commonly-used symbols in math). As I have learned how to use
>> latex's support for other unicode math glyphs, I can see that my old
>> solution does not scale and I would like to find an input method to
>> easily input something like:
>>
>> #+begin_src latex
>> Let $𝒯 ⊂ 𝐑$, $𝒯 ≠ ∅$, be a null set...
>> #+end_src
>>
>> I used C-x 8 RET to do this. I am ignorant of any input method that
>> would do what I want (ucs may be the closest, but it only uses 4 digit
>> hex, and who wants to memorize 4-5 digit hex numbers?)
>>
>> Suggestions or thoughts?
>
> Did you try the 'TeX' input method?  AFAIK, it was invented for these
> purposes.

Yes, I have and ucs, too.

If I do

M-x list-input-methods RET

search for and select TeX, the *Help* buffer is populated by a large
number of supported glyphs. When I search for 𝒯 (or 𝐑), it is not
found. It looks like there is some large, but limited number of glyphs
that are supported, but many are not.   ;-(

Suggestions?

TIA,
Leo