Re: Completion in org mode: why pcomplete?

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: Completion in org mode: why pcomplete?
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:26:55 -0800

> On Monday, 20 Dec 2021 at 20:11, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>> [...]
>> What I'd like to know is if I can ditch pcomplete altogether, bind C-M-i
>> to `completion-at-point', and just put my completion functions in
>> `completion-at-point-functions' directly.
>
> Hi Eric,
>
> I look forward to seeing what you find.

I switched the key-binding of C-M-i to call `completion-at-point'
directly, and the Org-specific completion still worked just fine, so
that's something!

I notice that `ispell-complete-word' has a FIXME about
`completion-at-point-functions', so I assume it doesn't currently work
with capf. But it's nice to know that someone (Stefan Monnier,
naturally) wishes it would (or he did back in 2012, when he added that
comment).

> In the meantime, you might wish to have a look at hippie-expand which
> does something similar to what you want in terms of accessing a number
> of sources for generating the completions.

I do know about hippie expand, but it seems like a repeat of the same
problem: another mini-framework that can draw completions from multiple
sources. It feels like capf is going to be that framework in the future,
so I'd like to try hard to stick to that, if possible.

Eric