Re: Emacs as a translator's tool

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Emacs as a translator's tool
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 18:57:17 +0100

On 2021-12-22, at 19:48, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text
editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Eric Abrahamsen wrote:
>
>>> Out of curiosity: what tools do you use? (I translate
>>> subtitles a lot, and I used subed-mode and mpv.)
>>
>> When I do subtitles it's pretty much always for a film
>> production company, which you'd think would mean latest
>> technologies and industry standards, exciting stuff, but in
>> fact means they email me a Word document, and expect me to
>> email them a Word document back :(
>
> Can't you guys see if you can find me me a translator job (I
> mean a single item) - because if I do it, I can tell the guys
> here, "look you bunch of bozos, I have experience from the
> field!" So then I'll get jobs from there! And you'll get my
> gratitude and I'll have respect for Norway and Poland ;)

Well, I don't have a translator job, either.  And I have a friend who is
a translator, and it seems this job sucks more and more these days...
(Easy commissione are gone because of Google Translator; rates have been
the same for about 20 years, not even raised according to inflation...)

> Actually I already have that. I only act stupid, most of the
> time ...
>
> Are Poles the only ones ever to beat Russia in a war?

Well, we had our share of defeats, but we also had some truly badass
moments...  Actually, we saved Europe twice
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vienna,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Warsaw_(1920)), helped save
England (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._303_Squadron_RAF), helped
save at least Eastern Europe once
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_John_Paul_II#Role_in_the_fall_of_Communism),
helped the Allies at least twice (not counting the Battle of England -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Monte_Cassino,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptanalysis_of_the_Enigma)...

> Sweden ... once super-militaristic, armed-to-the-teeth, then
> and still one of the riches countries in the world LOL

Actually, we also fought Swedes once
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(history)).

Best,

--