Re: Someone start maintaining luddites.el

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Someone start maintaining luddites.el
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2021 14:13:26 +0800

Fu Yuan <casouri@gmail.com> writes:

> It shouldn’t be hard to allow users to choose a release they want to
> stick to, no? For a starter we can have Emacs 28 when 29 releases. And
> with each following release we can add the previous release to
> possible fallback list.
>
> Providing fall back for releases prior to 28 might not be very useful,
> as users who want to old behavior must already have the configuration
> written in their init file.

I expect future versions of Emacs to behave generally the same way as
Emacs 23 or 27, so that I do not get lost trying to use it, but I don't
want to remember how Emacs 28 (or 29, or 30, or 31) behaved so I can
pick a version whose behaviour it should emulate, if that behaviour is
even enumerable.

Such a compatibility layer will probably have to be constantly updated
as well to fit with changes in later versions of Emacs.

The solution is simply to not change the default values of options when
it is not due, and to change them when it is, forgoing any of the
"compatibility layer" nonsense.