Re: Dired command on same host

From: Manuel Giraud
Subject: Re: Dired command on same host
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 14:02:41 +0100

[...]

> I've just applied some tests. If I run "scp hostA:/path/to/file
> hostB:/another/path", scp assumes the "-3" argument by default. That
> means, it copies the file first from hostA to my local host, and copies
> then from my local host to hostB - like Tramp does. The difference is,
> that it keeps the local transfer file in /tmp.

I've made the same test : scp hostA:/path/to/file hostB:/another/path
and with a relatively large file (1.5 GB) and it works as expected
without filling /tmp. I'm using scp on fairly recent openbsd machine.

OTOH, the out-of-band method of tramp fills up my /tmp (which is only
256 MB). So maybe, having tramp out-of-band trying to "scp hostA:old
hostB:new" before relying on other method could be enough without going
to the trouble of out-of-band from hostA to hostB directly?
--
Manuel Giraud