Re: Dired command on same host

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Dired command on same host
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 20:55:56 +0100

>> To adress Tassilo remark, maybe it should make a hash of «some known»
>> file too to ensure that this is the correct host B. Or maybe this is
>> too much.
>
> Well, a better check would be whether a given host name resolves to
> the same IP address, taking into account also ssh's config via the
> "Host" option. Don't know how hard this is.
>
> And even this isn't bullet-proof. Due to network configuration, hostB
> could resolve to different addresses on my local machine and on hostA,
> although it is still the same machine.

That's exactly a common usage pattern for me.  I frequently connect to
customer machines that some network VPN magic makes accessible as if
they were in our local network, so hostA and hostB are 192.168.233.1 and
192.168.233.2 from my POV although in that customer's network their IPs
are different.

Bye,
Tassilo