Re: File for minor mode not found

From: Tomas
Subject: Re: File for minor mode not found
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2022 16:56:27 +0100

On Sun, Jan 09, 2022 at 03:43:42PM +0100, fatiparty@tutanota.com wrote:

[...]

> > This is looking for a file "daph.el" (after looking for a "daph.elc")
> > somewhere in `load-path'. Does that exist?
> >
> > Sorry for asking something which might be obvious, but your question
> > doesn't make it completely clear.
> >

> It does not exist.  The file is named daph-ideograms.el but I am using
> (provide 'daph) at the end of the file.  And using (require 'daph) after
> setting the load-path in another file.

Ah, no. That's not how it works: Emacs won't look into all files to find
which one `provides' daph.

It looks for whatever file called "daph.elc" or "daph.el" which comes
first in its search path. So you better call your file "daph.el" (or
alternatively you call your feature "daph-ideograms", as you prefer).

(The "provide" at the end of your file is doing a slightly different
job: it is confirming that, indeed, the feature is present now: the
file's loading could, for example, fail).

Cheers