Re: [External] : Re: Native compilation

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Native compilation
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2022 14:23:12 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>> The former means your .emacs was not natively compiled
>>> (which is generally a Good Thing).
>>
>> Thanks, you mean not to compile it natively or not compile
>> it at all?
>
> Natively.

Okay, it is interesting that you say so because didn't you
use (?) to say that byte-compiling of the .emacs and
supplemental files was disencouraged?

Well, I meet you half the way since one of the big advantages
with byte-compilation is that it gives you an easy way to
improve the quality of the code, and with native byte-compile,
you don't get that advantage since you already got it with
ordinary/universal byte-compile ...

>> But the strange thing is it _is_ compiled, there is an
>> .emacs.elc which according to file(1) is "Emacs/XEmacs v28
>> byte-compiled Lisp data", however the Emacs that compiled
>> [1] it is actually
>
> The native compilation didn't happen because Emacs didn't
> find the source file for the .elc file. I'm saying that you
> shouldn't worry about that: native compilation of init files
> can only cause trouble, and will never provide any tangible
> performance boost. So just disregard that warning.
>
>> So I wonder if there is some special way to compile
>> it natively?
>
> Maybe.  But why bother?

Well, we we are into technology unless you didn't notice.

Why is it that while it makes sense to natively byte-compile
the Elisp of GNU Emacs it doesn't make sense to natively
byte-compile all other Elisp?

But OK, just byte-compiling the old what, that doesn't make it
natively byte-compiled, right?

That happens automatically when Emacs is run, after being
configured --with-native-compilation [1], and it only affects
GNU Emacs Elisp, right?

Or what about [M]ELPA Elisp, that natively byte-compiled
as well?

If so, even more so, then why not all Elisp?

>> It is in the MELPA's Emacs-w3m, I think, version 1.4.632.
>
> Report a bug to the developers.

I CC the previous post to gmane.emacs.w3m ... there is no
common interface to submit bugs in random Elisp software
I guess? :)

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/install-emacs

--
underground experts united