Re: [External] : Re: Native compilation

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: [External] : Re: Native compilation
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 08:28:23 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Yes, but that's completely natural ... good, even?
>
> Quite a few people are annoyed by the many warnings they get
> in this case.

I didn't get a single one except the one from the MELPA
Emacs-w3m and the .emacs case described already. I guess my
144 files are pretty good ...

>>> Natively-compiling Lisp files also means you'll need to
>>> have the original Lisp files around, or else Emacs will
>>> refuse to load the .eln file. If you compress the source
>>> file, you need to have Emacs built with decompression
>>> support (zlib), otherwise Emacs will refuse to load the
>>> .eln file, claiming that the source isn't available.
>>
>> Okay, why?
>
> Because Emacs needs to be sure the .eln file corresponds to
> the .el/.elc, otherwise the session might crash.

OK, well not a problem anyway since it is just source ...
bunch of chars LOL

>> .eln files do exist in
>> ~/.emacs.d/eln-cache/29.0.50-9e08bfb0 including my files,
>> e.g. time-incal-760bfd05-7cbfad50.eln - okay, so maybe
>> that's why I got the warning/error for just one file,
>> .emacs - because .emacs is named .emacs and not emacs.el?
>
> If you have .emacs.elc somewhere, and it said it couldn't find the
> source of it, then that's the reason.

It is ... with .emacs.el symlinked I don't get a warning.

> If you don't have .emacs.elc

Grep the backlog for the answer to this question ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal