Re: Fwd: How do I go about debugging my Elisp code?

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: Fwd: How do I go about debugging my Elisp code?
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 19:53:53 +0300

* Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> [2022-01-14 19:43]:
> I think we both agree that the missing license is the main issue, not
> the Copyright notice.

Those terms are related. If there is copyright notice and otherwise
license missing, then it is automatically proprietary, that is how it
is in most of countries.

If there is however, copyright notice, but license somewhere else in
the directory of the file, then that is already good. But the GNU GPL
suggests (maybe requires) the notice in each file, as files may be
singly distributed. Then how would the recipient know under which
license it was issued if the notice is not in the file.

> I don't think that an emacs package is a modification of emacs itself or
> a derivative work.

If you modify variable you are modifying Emacs. If you create a
function than such software modifies Emacs as function did not exist
in Emacs. It creates new function. Thus new function is modification
of Emacs itself.

You have to review the license for full understanding.

> Rather the package links to emacs, i.e., emacs is a kind of
> "standard library" for all emacs packages.

It is not enough of the excuse. 😝 Creating a function or program,
small or large, meant for Emacs Lisp means it will modify Emacs as it
adds new function, thus such function shall be compatible to Emacs
license.

Yes, that means all of the init files, configurations and snippets
should carry such notices of being compatible, otherwise they are not
and are automatically proprietary.

> But I'm not sure if merely posting some basically private code somewhere
> on a private homepage or on some pastebin requires you to add a license
> notice.

It does, otherwise it is considered incompatible to Emacs as it is
automatically proprietary.

> I mean, hundreds share their .emacs file on the web without thinking
> about licensing.

That is exactly the reason why I am mentioning this all.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/