Re: Fwd: How do I go about debugging my Elisp code?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Fwd: How do I go about debugging my Elisp code?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 11:15:35 +0100

Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> writes:

>> > CC BY-SA 4.0 is one-way compatible with the GNU GPL version 3: this
>> > means you may license your modified versions of CC BY-SA 4.0
>> > materials under GNU GPL version 3, but you may not relicense GPL 3
>> > licensed works under CC BY-SA 4.0.
>>
>> Aren't they doing exactly the latter when allowing elisp code to be
>> posted?
>
> That question I don't get.
>
>> According to your argument, every elisp code is a modification of
>> emacs itself and therefore must have the same license (or at least
>> equivalent terms) as emacs.
>
> Yes. My understanding is that CC BY-SA 4.0 license is compatible to
> GPL 3+ and thus all contributions on Emacs StackExchange are
> compatible to Emacs license, thus fine in that regard.

You said one-way compatible above, i.e., it is ok for me to use CC BY-SA
4.0 code snippets from SO in my GPL3+ package but according to your
argument, when I post some elisp code on emacs.stackexchange.com, that
code is automatically GPL+ (because you say every elisp code is a
modification of emacs itself), yet they redistribute it as CC BY-SA 4.0
which would be an infringement.  Or is that not what one-way compatible
means?

Bye,
Tassilo