Re: limit native compilation - how

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: limit native compilation - how
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 15:48:44 +0200

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 14:24:52 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > The contents of the native-lisp/ directory doesn't change once Emacs
> > is built.
>
> Really, please see below, could it be you meant perhaps the preloaded/
> folder? (Just guessing.)

No, I meant the entire native-lisp/28.0.91-xxxxx directory (of which
there should be just one when you build a single version for a single
configuration).

> > If you cannot figure this out, compare the contents of the two
> > native-lisp/ directories.
>
> machine 105 MB:
> |- native-lisp/
>    |- 28.0.91-59ee6325/
>    |  |- Some .eln files
>    |  |- preloaded/
>    |     | 45 MB .eln
>    |- 28.0.91-aa40abb8/
>       | Some other .eln files
>       |- preloaded/
>          |- 45 Mb .eln files
>
> machine 55 MB:
> |- native-lisp/
>    |- 28.0.91-59ee6325/
>    |- Some .eln files
>       |- preloaded/
>          | 45 MB .eln files
>
> Might the differences come from multiple compilations?

Yes, you have two different builds in the first case.  I don't know
how that happened, assuming you built the pretest tarball.  Did you
build 2 different configurations in that tree, perhaps?