Re: limit native compilation - how

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: limit native compilation - how
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 15:49:37 +0200

> From: "H. Dieter Wilhelm" <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 14:38:46 +0100
>
> > This typically happens during the first few minutes of a session, and
>
> For a session only?!

The first session (assuming your use patterns are repeatable enough).

> I hoped that the cache (or the .eln files) can last a live time of an
> Emacs build!  Except maybe when packages will be updated.

That's what I meant, except that I was talking about the bundled
packages.

> I just updated some Elpa packages and it seems they won't be natively
> compiled at this stage.

They will be compiled when Emacs loads them for the first time,
assuming that they were byte-compiled into *.elc.

> > then subsides.  It's JIT compilation in action, and is normal.  The
> > JIT compilation uses half the execution cores of the machine.
>
> Half the cores, I see, thanks

(And of course there's a defcustom to tune this.)