Re: Debugging a seldom seen bug (C-g with Ido)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Debugging a seldom seen bug (C-g with Ido)
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 10:54:39 -0500

> Now if i hit C-g before the candidates are shown, i'm seeing a "[Quit]"
> appended to the minibuffer, without other effects, and after a while,
> i'd get a list of candidates.  When doing it with debug-on-quit set, i
> see just one other redisplay_internal call at the top most of the time.
>
>   Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
>     redisplay_internal\ \(C\ function\)()
>     read-from-minibuffer("Describe function: " ...)
>     completing-read-default("Describe function: " ...)
>     completing-read("Describe function: " ...)
>     byte-code(...)
>     call-interactively(describe-function nil nil)
>     command-execute(describe-function)

Hmm... yeah, that's not very helpful.

> I don't think there is anything wrong here, other than my flawed
> expectations :)

It is a somewhat delicate part of `C-g`, and whether it's a bug or not
might be debatable, but I think it's clearly an undesirable behavior: it
may be hard to change the code to behave better (I don't know), but it
qualifies for a bug report if you ask me.

It'd be even better if you can reproduce it with a completion package
that's better maintained than Ido (e.g. Icomplete, Mct, Ivy, ...).

        Stefan