Re: NonGNU ELPA

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 13:24:10 +0800

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> But - a distant bell rings - I heard somewhere that these not
> exactly hackish workarounds - or actually they are
> clever hacks! - I heard they were not needed since Emacs
> provided this out of the box. I remember I tested, but it
> didn't work.
>
> Maybe that is because of the configuration option
> --with-x-toolkit=no (actually I don't know when I started with
> that, I remember the emacs-nox package ... - that's "no X" -
> but now comes yet another twist, I, who configure/compile like
> that since I just use Emacs in a Linux VT/tty/console with no
> need for that it would seem, I use that stuff (xsel.el) every
> day.
>
> Literally! It isn't really necessary for life/work, the 19/20
> use case is to watch some video material I find on the net or
> someone tells me to check out so I get a sneak peak with mp3
> before I decide to download it or not.
>
> So maybe I and people with similar "habits" should compile
> with the X stuff?
>
> But if everyone does, what is the deal with xclip.el and
> xsel.el ? Can everyone stop using them if everyone just
> compiled with the X stuff?
>
> Here, no sneak peak, _instant download_. Gigi Hadid and
> progressive trance (progressive trance = repeats the same
> pattern also in long loops, but all the while force and
> intensity is increased. can you tell there is something fishy
> going on?)

I don't really understand what you're saying here, but introducing a
compile-time option that lets Emacs open an X display connection to
access selections without being able to create frames would be extremely
pointless, since if you can access selections, you already have
everything you need to create frames.

So the clean solution for accessing X selections is either to run Emacs
under X, or to use something like xclip.el.