Re: NonGNU ELPA

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: NonGNU ELPA
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 06:38:21 +0100

Po Lu wrote:

> I don't really understand what you're saying here

1) Think
2) Ask a friend
3) Ask the teacher

> but introducing a compile-time option that lets Emacs open
> an X display connection to access selections without being
> able to create frames would be extremely pointless, since if
> you can access selections, you already have everything you
> need to create frames.

Frames? You mean like web pages had in the 90s?

> So the clean solution for accessing X selections is either
> to run Emacs under X, or to use something like xclip.el.

This must be the cleanest, compile Emacs without X, use
xsel.el [1] to communicate from Emacs to X, and from X to
Emacs (it is a theoretical possibility not observed in the
wild), _and_ from Emacs to the other ttys - without passing X,
which still has to run for it to work.

Remember the SEGA slogan - "Beat us. If you can"

Same then. As now.

BTW xclip.el was written by Leo Liu ... I'll CC him.
Probably a cool guy. Developer.

[1] https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/xsel.el

--
underground experts united