Re: rainbow-delimiters-mode, syntax-begin-function and font-lock-beginni

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: rainbow-delimiters-mode, syntax-begin-function and font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 08:04:09 -0500

fatiparty@tutanota.com [2022-01-25 09:46:35] wrote:
> Jan 25, 2022, 11:18 by help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org:
>>> Have looked for `font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function' but
>>> could not find information of possible obsolescence.
>> % grep font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function etc/NEWS*
>>  etc/NEWS.19:font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function and
>> font-lock-keywords-case-fold-search.
>>  etc/NEWS.25:Removed 'font-lock-beginning-of-syntax-function' and the
>> SYNTAX-BEGIN
>>  %
> 'syntax-begin-function' has also been declared obsolete.

"Also" isn't quite right here: the above grep shows the other var has
been *removed* which is different from being declared obsolete.

> Would this mean that I can remove the following pieces

It means those pieces of code only have an effect for packages that
still use that obsolete variable.  Whether you want to remove it or not
is a choice I can't make for you.

        Stefan