Re: insert string at point with emacs-version

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: insert string at point with emacs-version
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 00:15:53 +0100

tomas wrote:

> When in a buffer (whose content is not very important to
> you) try:
>
>   M-x eval-expression
>
> Then enter
>
>   (emacs-version 'bluntschli)
>
> Of course, any value besides 'bluntschli will do, as long as it is not
> nil.
>
> Of course, since it doesn't make a difference, you'll use
> t to not coufuse your readers.

It is used like this, C-u M-x emacs-version RET

So type for example "I like this Emacs version the most" then
hit the above combo for, in my case

  GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, cairo
  version 1.16.0) of 2021-12-31

There is the same for Gnus, `gnus-version'

  Gnus v5.13

and I did the same for w3m and Emacs-w3m

;;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-
;;;
;;; this file:
;;;   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/w3m/w3m-version.el

(require 'w3m)

(defun emacs-w3m-version (&optional here)
  "Version number of this version of Emacs-w3m, `emacs-w3m-version'.
If optional argument HERE is non-nil, insert string at point.
\nThis is not the version of the shell tool w3m; see `w3m-version'."
  (interactive "P")
  (if here
      (insert (message emacs-w3m-version))
    (message emacs-w3m-version) ))

(defun w3m-version (&optional here)
  "Version number of this version of w3m, `w3m-version'.
If optional argument HERE is non-nil, insert string at point.
\nThis is not the version of the Emacs browser; see `emacs-w3m-version'."
  (interactive "P")
  (if here
      (insert (message w3m-version))
    (message w3m-version) ))