Re: Web mode warts - help ...

From: Skip Montanaro
Subject: Re: Web mode warts - help ...
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 10:15:12 -0600

> CHAOS AND DISHARMONY IN THE GALAXY!
>
> Some people say you don't have to close list item tags because
> they are closed implicitly either by the next list item tag or
> by the end of the list.
>
> Other people disagree ...

Thanks, yeah I'm aware (despite my absence from the front end of the web
for a couple decades) that closing <li> (and <p>) has often been deemed
optional. Still, you'd expect a tool intended to support construction of
HTML(-derived) documents would do the consistent thing, especially since it
seems to close paragraphs as expected. This brings to mind Postel's Law
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robustness_principle> ("be conservative in
what you do, be liberal in what you accept") and the Zen of Python
("Special cases aren't special enough to break the rules. Although
practicality beats purity."). I'm not sure which of those clauses applies
here. <wink>*

crawling-back-into-my-hole-ly yr's,

Skip

* For those not familiar with Python (does anybody fall into that camp
nowadays?) and its history, in addition to many other technical
contributions to the language and its C implementation, Tim Peters wrote
the Zen of Python many years ago (maybe 25?). You can view it by executing
"import this" at a Python prompt. Instead of the more familiar ";-)"
emoticon, Tim winks (when necessary) using "<wink>". He also signed off
with a specifically styled phrase which I tried to replicate above. (In
case you haven't figured this out by now, I hold Tim in high regard.)