Re: NetBSD Alt key?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: NetBSD Alt key?
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 20:03:01 +0100

conover--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

> (global-set-key "\M-b" 'mark-block) ; Alt-b key

It is called Meta. If "mark-block" is a command (interactive
function) I don't see why it shouldn't work ... You can put
use the hash quote but that won't solve it.

  (global-set-key "\M-b" #'mark-block)

Don't you want M-b for `backward-word' tho?

> NetBSD does not

What happens when you hit it?

Test, or do C-h k M-b

> Any idea on what "\M-b" should be for Alt-b in NetBSD?

It should look the same since we are operating on the Emacs
level, maybe something is up with the terminal emulator so
Emacs in facts sees some other key on M-b.

If you use xterm, try this ...

xterm*metaSendsEscape: true

in .Xresources [1] then

xrdb ~/.Xresources