Re: NetBSD Alt key?

From: John Conover
Subject: Re: NetBSD Alt key?
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 12:05:19 -0800

Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor writes:
> conover--- via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>
> > (global-set-key "\M-b" 'mark-block) ; Alt-b key
>
> It is called Meta. If "mark-block" is a command (interactive
> function) I don't see why it shouldn't work ... You can put
> use the hash quote but that won't solve it.
>
>   (global-set-key "\M-b" #'mark-block)
>
> Don't you want M-b for `backward-word' tho?
>
> > NetBSD does not
>
> What happens when you hit it?
>
> Test, or do C-h k M-b

Here is what it it gives:

    M-c (translated from M-C) runs the command copy-marks, which is an
    interactive compiled Lisp function in `.emacs'.

    It is bound to M-c.

    (copy-marks)

    Copy marks, copy any marked areas to the current point.

which seems to be Meta-anything returns Meta-c.

   Thanks,

   John

--

John Conover, conover@rahul.net, http://www.johncon.com/