Re: checking for light or dark background

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: checking for light or dark background
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 05:19:53 +0100

Yuri Khan wrote:

>> The problem I was having was that for Emacs 27.2, the
>> command (frame--current-backround-mode nil) was not
>> available. What is the recommendation for Emacs>=28.
>
> You should not rely on (frame--current-background-mode) even
> if it is available. The double dash in its name tells you it
> is a semi-private implementation detail, subject to change
> at any time. You can access it, but when it changes and your
> code breaks, you will get no support.

The designation sure is "semi-private" since it is actually as
public as any other `defun' available on the global
no-namespace market ...

As for what can change and what cannot, I think it is better
to just change what is bad, into something good (or at least
better), and focus on that rather than the supposed status of
the symbol, as communicated by the presence or absence of
a double dash ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal