Re: What does the error "Process <URL> not running" mean?

From: emacsq
Subject: Re: What does the error "Process <URL> not running" mean?
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 05:02:44 +0000

> > What does this error mean? I asked emacs to fetch an url,
> > not start a process
>
> Yeah but I think that's what it does ...

It may do that in the background, I meant from the user
point of view I told emacs to fetch an url, so it telling
me some process is not running does not help me as a user
to know what the problem is.

> > so why does it tell me this and how can I know from this
> > what the actual error is?
>
> What did you do exactly?

I have a document with hundreds of urls in it which needs
to be checked if they are still  alive and well, so I
fetched them one by one with a code like this:

(condition-case errmsg
    (url-retrieve
     "http://www.example.com";

     (lambda (status)
       (let ((error (plist-get status :error)))
         (if error
             (print error))

         ...do something, then check next url...))

     )
  (error (print errmsg)))

It works for most of the urls, it finds 404, non-existent
domains and other errors, but for some urls it returns the
error "Process http://www.example.com not running" which
I don't know what it means.

I tried finding this "process ... not running" text in the
lisp code, but I couldn't find it.

It's on windows, BTW.