Re: What does the error "Process <URL> not running" mean?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: What does the error "Process <URL> not running" mean?
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 21:07:55 +0100

emacsq <laszlomail@protonmail.com> writes:

>> That shouldn't be too hard. Does anyone have a sample url showing the
>> problem?
>
> In my experience, it's not a specific error which happens all the
> time, it just occurs sometimes. Like connection closed unexpectedly.
>
> I fetched hundreds of urls with url-retrieve sequentially, so the next
> url is fetched when the previous returned, and it works most of the
> time, but sometimes you get this "process x not running" error and
> then you get this same error for the next 10-20 urls for some reason,
> and then it works again well for a while.

I've just tried to reproduce with this code

;; -*- lexical-binding: t; -*-

(defun th/get-urls ()
  (with-temp-buffer
    (insert-file-contents "~/tmp/craft-popular-urls")
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (let (urls)
      (while (re-search-forward "^\\(.+\\)$" nil t)
        (push (match-string 1) urls))
      urls)))

(defun th/url-test (urls)
  (let ((url (pop urls)))
    (url-retrieve url
                  (lambda (status)
                    (when-let ((err (plist-get status :error)))
                      (message "Error for %S: %S" url err))
                    (kill-buffer)
                    (th/url-test urls)))))

(th/url-test (th/get-urls))

where ~/tmp/craft-popular-urls is
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/demersdesigns/4442cd84c1cc6c5ccda9b19eac1ba52b/raw/cf06109a805b661dd12133f9aa4473435e478569/craft-popular-urls.
However, I don't get such an error, only some 404s or connection-failed.
I also tried running the invocation 20 times in a loop so that there are
in fact about 20 processes running in parallel with no "luck".  This is
on GNU/Linux, though.

Does the above code with your url list also result in that error?

Bye,
Tassilo