Re: What does file-error mean as network process status?

From: emacsq
Subject: Re: What does file-error mean as network process status?
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2022 20:09:51 +0000

> Some of my url-retrieve processes got stuck and when I did an
> M-x list-processes, it listed them with the status: file-error

Apparently, this is connected to the "Process <URL> not running"
errors, because those processes which get this error, have this
file-error status:

e.g:

http://www.bing.com     Process www.bing.com not running

its status:

www.bing.com    --           file-error    *http www.bing.com:80*-148329 --
      Main         (network connection to www.bing.com:80)

So it looks like the Process www.bing.com not running error
is thrown, because the process' status is not 'run' which
is checked in process.c:

  if (! EQ (p->status, Qrun))
    error ("Process %s not running", SDATA (p->name));

And it is not 'run' the status is 'file-error' for some reason,
so the process is indicated as not running, but when listing
processes it is listed being in 'file-error' status.

file-error is not a valid project status according to the docs,
so this sounds like a  bug to me. The question is where the process
 status is set to 'file-error' and why?

If I try to delete the process from the process list then its status
goes to 'connect' which also suggests that 'file-error' is some
bogus status.

I don't know how things work internally in emacs, so I'm posting
this in case of someone more knowledgeable can shed a light on this.