Re: [External] : (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'number) ⇒ nil

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [External] : (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'number) ⇒ nil
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2022 09:08:49 +0300

* Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> [2022-02-05 00:29]:
> > > What does `C-h f bounds-of-thing-at-point'
> > > tell you?  Does it say that it's an alias
> > > for `tap-bounds-of-thing-at-point'?
> >
> > bounds-of-thing-at-point   is   a   compiled  Lisp   function   in
> > ‘thingatpt.el’.
>
> That means thingatpt+.el wasn't loaded.
>
> You likely need to either (1) change the file
> name "thingatpt" to be absolute or relative
> to where you're evaluating that sexp or (2)
> use symbol `thingatpt' instead of a string.
> Try the latter first.

It  is not  solved and  it works  well with  (bounds-of-thing-at-point
'number) -- thanks

I had the  database table `pages' and I have  converted them into more
general hyperscope objects.  There were and there still  are some page
numbers referenced from other pages, so  I had to make a function that
will lookup the page number and find the new hyperdocument number, and
replace one with each other.

With standard  thingatpt.el this did work,  but I have used  'word and
manually taken care that I am on the right "word" which was 123.

(defun rcd-change-number-at-point (new-number)
  (let* ((bounds (bounds-of-thing-at-point 'word))
         (number (buffer-substring (car bounds) (cdr bounds)))
         (point (point)))
    (goto-char (car bounds))
    (delete-char (length number))
    (insert (number-to-string new-number))
    (goto-char point)))

and  now instead  of  `'word'  I can  put  `'number',  as the  library
`thingatpt+.el' is upgrading or extending the built-in one.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman