Re: What does the error "Process <URL> not running" mean?

From: emacsq
Subject: Re: What does the error "Process <URL> not running" mean?
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 16:24:15 +0000

> Just an idea. I'll check it when I have the time.

Apparently, it's too many open files:

("make client process failed" "Too many open files" :name "example.com" ...)

Which is curious, because it's the same with url-queue-retrieve
which allows 6 parallel processes by default.

I checked and on windows (where I tried) the default file
handle limit is 512 for a process. (which can be increased with
_setmaxstdio)

512 is not much, but if only 6 network calls are going on at the
same time then it should be enough. Unless, the emacs windows'
networking code does not close file handles in a timely manner.

Emacs letting the open handles lingering for a while or not
closing them for some reason (handle leaking) could explain
why fetching many urls can run into the handle limit even if
there are not many parallel fetches at the same time.