Re: What does the error "Process <URL> not running" mean?

From: emacsq
Subject: Re: What does the error "Process <URL> not running" mean?
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 06:01:44 +0000

> I checked url-http.el and it looks like existing open connections
> are kept, in case someone wants to talk to the same host:port again

So going back to the original question: why do I get on windows
"Too many open files" error when increasing the number of parallel connections
beyond 1? Sometimes I even get such an error with
parallel = 1, but rarely and only 1 or 2 connections fail. But
with parallel > 1 I get many such errors.

In the context of sockets "Too many open files" means too many
open sockets:

WSAEMFILE 10024
Too many open files.
Too many open sockets. Each implementation may have a maximum number of socket
handles available, either globally, per process, or per thread.

url-http having open connections laying around could explain this, but
when I searched for winsock socket limits I found that there is not
really a low limit, you can open thousands of sockets by default,
so having some open connections shouldn't matter.

But the problem is present, so there must be some low limit in
emacs' windows code or elsewhere which prevent fetching urls in
parallel  without errors.

If someone reading this uses emacs on windows, could you run the
test code above, but with parallel connections set to 5, for
example? Do you also get "Too many open files" errors when fetching
the urls?