Re: Redisplay inside keyboard macros

From: Bruno Barbier
Subject: Re: Redisplay inside keyboard macros
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2022 20:42:30 +0100

Hi,

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Eduardo Ochs <eduardoochs@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 12:17:52 -0300
>> I expected to see an "ab", then a pause, then the "cd", but that's not
>> what happens - I get a pause and then "abcd".
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? I just triple-checked the docs about redisplay
>> and this behavior makes no sense to me...
>
> 'redisplay' exits immediately if called from a keyboard macro.  It's a
> feature.

In my case, some macros didn't replay correctly, because redisplay
wasn't done (like editing org mode links).

It's probably unsafe and unreliable, but, using a post-command-hook,
I've managed to force redisplays anyway. Macros are way slower than
before, but they now replay correctly.

Eduardo, your 'eek' function just works fine in my emacs, using
just the (sleep-for 1) definition. I can cleanup and share my hack if
you're interested.

Bruno.