Re: How to *properly* set up Emacs on Windows?

From: Joost
Subject: Re: How to *properly* set up Emacs on Windows?
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 09:14:20 +0100

Hi Eli,

Thanks for your answer, it certainly cleared up some questions I had. Still,
I'm not sure what to do about git.

On Tue, 8 Feb 2022, at 19:52, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>   . The above policy will not work with Git, because it _must_ be able
>     to call the MSYS2 Bash and other MSYS2 programs.  If you want to
>     invoke Git from Emacs, have a git.cmd batch file on your Path
>     which will use SETLOCAL to add Git's bin directory to Path
>     temporarily, for the duration of the Git command, and invoke
>     git.exe.  This will work for most simple Git commands; for more
>     complex Git commands that don't work from Emacs, use Git Bash
>     window to invoke them, and set up emacsclient to be the EDITOR for
>     Git commands instead.

I use magit on Linux, and have so far continued to do so on Windows, even
though it's extremely slow (apparently a known problem.) Git itself is
installed from <https://gitforwindows.org/>, which adds to my confusion,
because it is apparently a separate (and minimal) MSYS2 installation, which one
is advised to keep separate from a "normal" MSYS2 installation. In order to use
it inside Emacs, I add "C:/Program Files/Git/usr/bin" to `exec-path` (it's not
in my system path). Does that make sense?

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments