Re: How to *properly* set up Emacs on Windows?

From: H. Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: How to *properly* set up Emacs on Windows?
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 12:22:01 +0100

Joost <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> writes:

> Is there an Emacs 28 pretest available that will work with this? (The
> Windows binaries that were anounced on emacs-devel the other day
> appear to be MSYS2 binaries? And `pacman -Ss emacs` doesn't return any
> Emacs 28 packages.)

Please check

  http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-28/

These Windows binaries were build with MSYS2 but don't need MSYS to run.
Please read nt/README{.W64} and nt/INSTALL{.W64} for further
information.

> I've been using Git Bash (alongside eshell) as my shell of
> choice. Would the MinGW-x64 shell provided by MSYS2 be a better
> choice? Or doesn't it really matter?

As far as I understand, Git Bash is based on MSYS2.  (I'm now using
exclusively the MSYS2 shell, instead of the Git Bash shell..:-))

   Dieter
--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm