[no subject]

From: hput
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 14:24:06 -0500

When I do scripting in ksh93 emacs defaults to a mode that on the
bar across the bottom where page and char number appear it says:
                  (shell-script[ksh 88] abbrev)

I know very little about ksh 88, and do know that it is considered out
dated.

Is there a mode specifically for ksh93?

It seems that when in that `ksh 88' mode my cursor is continually
jerked to a position that is definitely wrong for where I am in the
script.

Now, when I press <enter> after typing the `fi' in an `if' clause, my
cursur is jerked to the position one would add "content" to an `if'
clause, (the `bleh bleh' ) below.

Example:

if [ $this ];then
   bleh bleh
fi <RET>
   [] <= cusor lands here

Instead of

if [ $this ];then
   bleh bleh
fi <RET>
[] <= here, where it needs to be for most next steps

>From that position (first `if' clause) cursor needs to go to the far
left edge where one might start more scripting such as another `if'
clause.  And that wrong behavior continues throughout the rest of the
script.

Unlike perl-mode .. where cursor lands where it should.

If the `ksh' script has more than a few lines, that can get
aggravating and time consuming to have to get the cursor to the far
left.  What ever means one uses to position the cursor there is a
pause => action and begin again for more scripting. Why is that?