Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 11:44:04 +0800

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> It isn't available on Haiku and doesn't work very well on MS-Windows,
> macOS, and even GNU/Linux.
>
> For example, it crashes during a display disconnect, fights with Emacs
> over the size of frames, it cannot utilize selections when connected to
> multiple displays, correctly position frames on X, warp the mouse
> pointer, and so on and so forth.
>
> The only use for GTK is to support window systems that we don't
> otherwise support, such as Wayland and Broadway.  Otherwise, using that
> window system directly will almost certainly lead to a better user
> experience.

FWIW,I've been trying to port the PGTK version of Emacs to GTK 4 (which
will eventually replace GTK 3) without relying on any obsolete APIs such
as Cairo, and so far it hasn't worked very well.  I thought it would
have been finished by December, but the GTK 4 drawing model leaves too
much to be desired.

Not to mention that I had to reinvent file dialogs, menu bars, and popup
menus, since there are no reasonably designed versions of those in GTK 4
which don't involve a single static XML file.

So sticking to GTK is not a good choice, and certainly not a long-term
option.