Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 13:04:58 +0100

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>> The first line of the GNU Manifesto says:
>>>
>>>     What's GNU? Gnu's Not Unix!
>>
>> _That_'s the joke ...
>
> Not really. The _acronym_ is a joke, but not the idea.

The acronym is a joke and the joke is/conveys the correct,
non-joke idea and goal of the whole project, namely that GNU
both _isn't_ Unix (i.e. AT&T's proprietary version) yet _is_
or intends to be a NEW, free Unix.

>> GNU isn't UNIX but it sure is Unix!
>>
>> As is Linux ...
>
> No, they aren't. The kernel is very different, most of the
> utilities are very different, etc.

GNU has a maximalist approach so there are more options than
for example in the BSD toolchain, as they have a minimalist
approach. The kernels (Linux, the BSD kernel whatever it/they
are called, Hurd etc) are different since they are different,
separate projects. But that's the _implementation_ side,
implementations will always differ, what is alike isn't the
implementations but what they implement, which is a Unix
system. Note that alike does not mean "the same" or
"identical", they are alike in the sense they all implement
and make possible Unix systems, thus they are all Unix.

>> POSIX = Portable Operating System Interface, coined by RMS
>> ... or am I wrong?
>
> You are wrong. POSIX indeed covers both Unix and GNU
> systems, so if I said "POSIX and GNU", that would be a funny
> mistake. But that's not what I said.

GNU is not just a microkernel but also a toolchain
of software. Both are Unix, and bundle them up you get
a Unix system. But there are other kernels, including several
monolithic kernels that you might have heard of, that are also
Unix since they are implementation of the Unix model just as
much, i.e. IPC, PCBs, pipes, etc etc etc, and if they are
combined with the GNU toolchain they are also, just as much,
Unix + Unix = Unix.

Unix is a family of systems, they are all just as much Unix.

Have you ever heard of the United states of America?

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal