Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on eve

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Would there be a drawback of using the same graphical toolkit on every platform?
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 14:59:51 +0100

Pankaj Jangid wrote:

>>> What's GNU? Gnu's Not Unix!
>>
>> _That_'s the joke ...
>>
>> GNU isn't UNIX but it sure is Unix!
>>
>> As is Linux ...
>
> GNU utilities do make it appear like that. Otherwise, even
> the most basic shell commands are incompatible -
> ls/xargs/find...

But that's the way you do it. Uniform base,
specialized superstructure.

See this for tools, machines and other gear:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_cleat

Or in sports. The team is organized with a collective of basic
technicians, full-blooded professionals that do the simple
things the right way without hesitation, with confidence and
force.

However an individual player ... can be creative and break the
pattern to add variety, the unexpected to their game, maybe
sometimes even brilliant and unique attack vectors never heard
of until then ...

You have to have both!

> And Linux is a kernel.

> If GNU were UNIX, then there was no need for POSIX.

POSIX is a family of standards. GNU is an implementation of an
operating system concept. So it is up to the people active
doing that to what degree what standards should
be implemented ...

(Note that standards that are not implemented, let's say not
even once, that doesn't mean they have no value.)

> I am talking purely from the user’s point-of-view. If we
> talk about the idea then the gap is even wider.

Gaps are wider here and smaller there. It happens all the time
and changes all the time. Don't worry about them. And if they
get too wide to jump across, let's climb down instead and
examine what cool stuff are down there ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal